Saturday 29 September 2012

Shoes, Bikes, and Tea

   I can't believe we are leaving India in less than a week! This coming Friday (Oct 5) we are heading out for China for a two week tour. We are really looking forward to it, but at the same time we will miss everyone here. We have made some really great friends, and we're sad to be leaving them. Maybe someday in the future we will get to come back.
   I have so many things I've wanted to tell you all about on here, but I'm running out of time fast. The internet is not very reliable here so I haven't been able to work on it as much as I've wanted. This week I'll try to get as much posted as I can. So here goes...

Here's a couple more interesting cultural things about India.

1. Shoes. Everyone takes off their shoes before going inside a home, or in this case the library. Even when we toured the palace we were required to take off our shoes. I know, gross right? Considering how many people walk through there in a day. I wore socks.

2. Motorbikes. They are the main mode of transportation. It's not unusual to see a whole family of 4 or 5 on the same bike. We've seen some pretty crazy loads on them too.

3. Tea. I think it comes from the colonial British days, but these people love tea. They make it with milk, sugar, and cardamom and it's sooo good. But "having tea" isn't restricted to drinking a certain beverage though. You can have tea with orange Fanta or coffee just as well. And if you have "biscuits" (cookies) its even better. It's a fun social event.
having tea with friends :)
hmmm...
Yep, they're good!

No comments:

Post a Comment