Monday 27 August 2012

Clothes Shopping in Veerapandi

Here are some pictures from our trip to the little textiles shop in town. Veerapandi is the town where the college is located just outside the city of Coimbatore. I was looking for material to make myself a couple skirts. It was a little overwhelming even if it was a small store. There were just stacks and stacks of beautiful silk fabric, and the salespeople kept pulling out more and more for me to see. The manager kept telling them to show me light colors, I guess because my skin is light. A saree is the stereotypical Indian ladies dress, you can see the saleslady in the pictures is wearing one. It's just a long piece of material wrapped around in a certain way to make a dress. They are actually really pretty, I think, and you don't have to worry about finding the right size. I finally decided on three. Each one is about six yards of fabric, and we paid about $10 for each. That's an amazing price, you wouldn't be able to get it for less than $10 per yard in the States. I love fabric!
Looking out across the street from the shop doorway.
The three I picked. The one on the left is my favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment