Saturday 18 August 2012

Independence Day Feast

Ok, so I'm sure if you saw my post with all the pictures of pig butchering you're wondering how it tasted right? Well let me just say, yum, yum, yum! They cooked it in some kind of spicy curry sauce. Also on the menu was chicken curry, white rice, rice with tomato something, and curd. The chicken curry was slightly different than the pork curry, but if I had eaten them on separate days I probably would have said they were the same. I think I would have to be here for awhile before I could detect the subtle differences in spices, but it's all very good. Curd is like runny yogurt with onions and tomatoes in it. Really good mixed with rice and curry.

Anyways, the whole meal was a really fun experience. They handed us each a big metal plate on the way in. Then they dumped a big pile of rice on it, and on top of the rice they put the curry and curd. Then, my favorite part :), you mix it all around with your fingers and scoop it into your mouth. This was actually a dream come true for me because, ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to go to India so I could eat with my fingers. There really is a technique to it. You kinda scoop it up with your fingers and shove it into your mouth with your thumb. I believe it really is a superior method for eating. Think about it, a fork in an American restaurant has been in how many people's mouths? euwww! My fingers, only in my mouth. The Indian couple we were sitting across from said it used to be even better because they ate off banana leaves, no plates to wash! Eating with your fingers also keeps you from chomping down on the little bits of bones that get chopped up and cooked with the meat. AND...it's way more fun!

(You might notice in the following pictures a fork and spoon on my plate. I did not use them! They were given to us by our hosts because we are Americans, and everyone knows that Americans eat with forks. lol Not this one. :)

2 comments:

  1. Remember when we had the Indians from Landmark Graphics out to our house to fix food.
    I think we had the same chicken curry and tomato spiced rice that you just had.
    What do you think?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been a while back, I just remember it being good. :) This was probably something similar.

      Delete