Thursday 16 August 2012

Preparing a Feast

Independence day celebrations anywhere are not complete without a feast. India is no exception. No hamburgers or hotdogs here tho! What's on the menu? Short-legged elephant, as they jokingly called it. A whole pig was butchered and made into delicious curry.

This little piggie weighed about 220 lbs. After killing the pig, they burned and scraped off all the hair. This way, every part of the pig can be used, including the skin. Thankfully, all the "undesirable" parts (such as brains and other organs) were cooked in a separate pot. I'm all about not wasting things, but I'm glad we weren't offered any of the weird stuff. Being ignorant of what you are actually eating is one thing, but I've butchered enough animals that I think I would be able to identify any odd parts that might appear. But then, you know, I might just eat it for the sake of saying I have eaten... whatever it may be. Pig brains couldn't be any worse than the grubs, turtle, or snake I've tried. Hmmm...

Mom, you will really enjoy this. They took the pig's bladder, blew it up like a balloon, and kicked it around. Just like Laura Ingals in Little House in the Big Woods!

WARNING: if you have a weak stomach, you might not want to look at these pictures
ignorance is bliss...
burning and scraping off the hair
yummy!
yes, that's the head
inflated pig bladder ball

No comments:

Post a Comment